Picture this: you are hopping off the plane, champagne in hand, to a sunny, palm-tree lined, salty air vacation. Or maybe a little closer to reality.. you are trying to round up your rowdy kids for a neighborhood pool day, packing everything from snacks and pool torpedoes to goggles and sunscreen, all while trying not to spill your coffee. Either way, neither scenario allows for much time to gather up your own essentials for a day in the summer sun!
We are here to help. We have outlined our favorite sustainable, ethically made must-haves to have in your tote at all times to make these days a success.
1. SUNSCREEN - First and foremost, SPF! Everyone knows sun protection is key for healthy skin.. However, it has come to our attention that sunscreen is definitely NOT all created equal. We have found Raw Elements to stand apart from the rest. Conventional sunscreens contain harmful ingredients that are absorbed by our skin into our bodies, harsh chemicals that play a part in destroying the reefs, and plastic tubes that are usually used for packaging. So... not ideal. However, Raw Elements does it differently.With products developed by anocean lifeguard, they hold themselves to the highest standards and have the certifications to prove it, including being Non-GMO Project Approved, Leaping Bunny Certified, EWG #1 Rated, Natural Products Association Certified, Made in USA andmore. Ingredients wise, their 23% non-nano zinc oxide is the only active ingredient, with the other ingredients being certified organic and natural. Plus, they promise that it will never run or sting eyes. It is safe for all ages, hypoallergenic, never tested on animals, AND packaged in recycled/recyclable materials. Need we say more?! From face sticks, body tubes and even tinted moisturizers, they’ve got us covered. Go check them out!
2. SUNGLASSES - Following the lines of sun protection… sunnies! The sun protection that has the potential to make or break any outfit, as well as the planet. Yikes! Don’t worry, we found the good guys. Meet Pala Vision, an eyewearbrand built on keeping our impact on the planet low, and our impact on people high. Made from 100% biodegradable ingredients, these sunnies also uphold high standards of ethical trade and social responsibility. However… they don’t stop there. For every pair of sunglasses sold, they give back to eye-care programs in Africa by providing grants to vision centres, dispensaries and screening programs. Amazing. However… they don’t stop there! They also work alongside a Ghanaian-based NGO to make their protective sunglasses cases, using traditional methods that utilize otherwise wasted plastic, empowering and recycling all at once. They come in many different styles, colors, and sizes, and all SO stylish. We are big fans of the Nkiru ones, but go take a look!
3. REUSABLE CUP - What is a sunny beach day without a beverage?? Not complete, if you ask us. Whether it is an iced latte or frozen marg, it is a must. What isn't a must, however, is the plastic cup that usually comes with. We have seen the Keep Cup pop up everywhere, and we had to take a look. Known as the “The World’s First Barista Standard Reusable Cup,” it was designed by Australian baristas to be used time and again, to be repaired, not replaced, and to last.After just 4 uses, KeepCup Thermal has lower carbon emissions than a compostable single-use cup, and after 8 uses, KeepCup Thermal has a lower impact than disposable cups! They are B Corps Certified and are a part of 1% For the Planet initiative, and it doesn’t hurt that they are also SO cute. With a “build your own cup” feature that offers a wide variety of designs, you are bound to find one perfect for you. Hop on the Reusable Cup Train here!
4. LIP BALM - Because who doesn’t need a go-to touch of shimmer and shine to celebratethe summer sun?! Lucky for us, we found a lip balm that ismade with ethically and botanically derived ingredients, combined with clean mineral pigments and SPF 15. The best part? It doubles as a cheek tint, too!Everything All Good makes is gluten-free, cruelty-free and free from the most common toxic ingredients that lurk in thousands of beauty products (like parabens and phthalates). They exclusively use clean, organic and botanical ingredients that work hard to nourish and protect skin – which keep you feeling beautiful inside and out. Perfect. Snag a tin for your summer bag!
5. DEODORANT - When the heat hits and we are adventuring outside, sweat and maybe a lil stink is inevitable, let's be real. We don’t know about you, but having a backup deostick with us is an essential, and we have tried ALL the all-natural options. To be honest, most left us sweaty and not so great-smelling, BUT there was one that performed! Meet Hey Humans - theycreate clean, safe, performance-driven, naturally derived formulas in sustainable packaging to help reduce plastic on our planet. They are 99% plastic free, cruelty free, and free from parabens, phthalates and silicones. Plus, their scents are lovely, exceeding all super flowery, faux smelling alternatives. Easily accessible at Target, give them a try!
6. SANDALS - When you’re ready to fling off the sneaks and swap them for summery sandals, Nisolo is the way to go. We are loving the versatility, lightweight designs, specifically either the slides or the huarache sandals, and they are our go-to! However, the best part of Nisolo is their commitment to going against the grain in the fashion industry. They ensure that every human in the process of making their products are paid a fair, living wage (98% of the industry is NOT!) and they are 100% carbon neutral.
7. DREAMSOFT SCARF - And, of course, last but certainly not least, the one and only Dreamsoft Scarf. We may be biased, but we have one on us at all times… thank goodness it is machine washable, because these babies come with us everywhere! Perfect layers for chilly evenings, AC blasts, and airplanes, and ideal sun covers when out and about at the beach, window shopping, and patio brunches! As always, all of our products are made with 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, upholding high standards of ethics and sustainability.
For more inspiration for THE BEST sustainable accessories, go check out Sustainable Jungle's take!